Why become a member? ×

Rayman's latest set up

Rayman

So this is the latest incarnation of my live set up: US G&L L2000 in Clear Forrest Green, and a G&L Tribute L2500 in Cherry Burst, standing in front of my faithful Fender Pro 400.

I'm actually prefering the Trib at this point, although it doesn't [i]quite[/i] have the same depth of sound that the L2000 has, it's a beautiful player. Both of them can produce an amazing range of tones, and right now I'm using them both active, series, fingered over the bridge pickup and with some bottom end taken off for a great funky tone.

Live, cranking up the tone controls in passive mode seems to be a good way to go, give me a more traditional kind of sound, but nice and punchy.

Great basses, really nice to play, well made and they sound fantastic.

Yup, the L2500 was kindly sold to me by Pete, and it's a fantastic bass. I had [i]only[/i] 5ers for a while but fancied a switch back to 4 strings. Once I'd sold off the 5ers I really missed the low B :) , SO, I decided to have one of each.

They're my first G&L's, but then I've had most other makes, so I decided I should check them out, and I'm glad I did. I tried a Tribute L2000 a few months ago up at Peters (greeneking) and fell in love with the tone and playability of it. So I recently picked up the Green L2000 in a recent trade, not [i]really[/i] knowing if I'd like it, but I [i]really[/i] did, so the L2500 seemed to be a logical partner for it. Petes' L2500 is a particularly nice bass, so I'm very happy.

[i]To me[/i], the G&Ls are better basses than Stingrays. It's not that I don't love 'rays, I do, but the G&Ls are more versatile, and I find them more comfortable to play. As far as the 'ray HH is concerned, I reckon it's capable of a lot of tones, and is the only bass you'll get [i]that[/i] Stingray tone from, the L2000 will get close, but it's not the same.

I would describe the tone I get from the L2000 as something between a Stingray and a Jazz, but it also does a good Precision impression too if you set the EQ right.

If it's a Stingray tone you like, then it's a Stingray you have to get, but [i]for me[/i], if it's versatility and playablity you want, it has to be the G&L every time.