Why become a member? ×

No bids for a Hohner 6 string bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320566781799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

No bids @£250 starting price. Not that I'm going to buy it, but I'd like to know what people thing this bass is actually worth.

Edited by Annoying Twit

There was another thread recently where folks were stating that a 4 string 'cricket bat' Hohner was easily worth more than £200 so based on that £250 seems about right/cheap... though that may not be my view! :)

Oddly enough Eude is looking for a 6 stringer, I'll point him in that direction, especially as it looks to have upgraded hipshot tuners!

[quote name='witterth' post='908896' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:04 AM']£250 is about right, oddly, for ebay.
dont pay more I'd say[/quote]

Ta.

[quote]what are those extra 2 strings for any way? :)[/quote]

Yes, I know this is rhetorical, but this is something I've only really understood recently, despite my first two basses bought while here being a 5 and a 6, with me only buying a 4 some months ago.

A riff or groove that uses octaves already spans three strings. To go significantly above the higher root note while staying in "the box" requires the next string up, which means that all four strings are being used. Then, to move the groove to a different chord sends you jumping violently up and down the neck. While on a five or six string, you can move such a groove to a different chord sideways. There are definitely times when it works for me. Maybe I'll change my mind with more experience.

I have had 2 Hohner B 4 strings in the past,nice through neck,super low action,emg pups and circuit with active on and off and adjustable boost,B dropper comes in handy on the steinberger bridge which also has fine tuners (probably not on this 6er) but all in all easily equal to any 600 quid or so instrument I have played so if this is anything like the 4s its a snip,(Mmmm do I need a 6?)

I have a 5 string B bass and it's pretty d@mn good. I've replaced the stock pre with a U-Retro and it sounds great. Narrow fretboard for a 5er (which suits me) and excellent QC, being made by Cort in the Korean factory.

I'd say that £250's about right.

Funny thing is, the B Bass is essentially a Jack with a headstock, and Jacks get plenty of love & sell well for around this price, so why not B basses?

G.

• 3 weeks later...