Why become a member? ×

Marshall JCM 800 bass series head

andywoolace

Hi guys - I posted this in the wrong section originally sorry... TWICE now!!

I've been cleaning out some gear from my dad's shed and come across a Marshall JCM 800 bass series head. It's a 100w Mk2.

The model number is 1992 - but the serial number S29127 which means it's circa 1984 (is this right)... so i guess it's pretty rare.

It's in pretty good condition - I've plugged it in and it all works, the volume pot could probably do with a bit of a clean as it's a little crackly when turning up or down (it's not been used for a good few years) but apart from that that it sounds great.

I'm trading in some equipment so would anyone have any idea what this could be worth?

Cheers,

Andy

[quote name='andywoolace' post='909270' date='Jul 29 2010, 02:19 PM']Hi guys - I posted this in the wrong section originally sorry... TWICE now!!

I've been cleaning out some gear from my dad's shed and come across a Marshall JCM 800 bass series head. It's a 100w Mk2.

The model number is 1992 - but the serial number S29127 which means it's circa 1984 (is this right)... so i guess it's pretty rare.

It's in pretty good condition - I've plugged it in and it all works, the volume pot could probably do with a bit of a clean as it's a little crackly when turning up or down (it's not been used for a good few years) but apart from that that it sounds great.

I'm trading in some equipment so would anyone have any idea what this could be worth?

Cheers,

Andy[/quote]

not 100% sure on price but if you send me a list of the other stuff your selling i could be intrested in this.

[quote name='andywoolace' post='909270' date='Jul 29 2010, 02:19 PM']Hi guys - I posted this in the wrong section originally sorry... TWICE now!!

Cheers,

Andy[/quote]
Couldn`t tell you how much its worth Andy, but can tell you those things sound great. Think Bruce Foxton from The Jam - apparently he used these Marshalls on the majority, if not all their hits, and to my ear anyway, think his bass sound was awesome. Would love to buy it myself, but just spent out on a different Marshall head - DBS 7400 - also great, so leave me potless.

Good luck with it - there are quite a few Marshall bass amp fans out there.

I sold one a while back for £450. The more sought after ones, unlike mine was or yours, have the inputs one above the other, rather than side by side. I think these are more sought after as they convert easier into lead jcm800s. Not sure on that though. Certainly the other configuration sells at a higher price though sorry to say.

The good news is they're a great amp - if a little heavy and a bit of a one trick pony - but what a trick!

They're also built to last through WWIII. And if that's the right year, you'll probably find the black weave stuff will fade in the daylight unless it's been replaced or re-dyed. Mine was a sandy colour but you could see it was still black where it been protected from sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mog' post='910251' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:36 PM']I'm looking for one if you'd ship across the water. Great heads.[/quote]
Hi Mog,

Not sure how much shipping would be - the thing weighs a tonne!

still haven't sold it so if you wanna sort out carriage i'd certainly look at selling to you.

CHeers mate,

Andy

[quote name='Lozz196' post='909627' date='Jul 29 2010, 08:49 PM']Couldn`t tell you how much its worth Andy, but can tell you those things sound great. Think Bruce Foxton from The Jam - apparently he used these Marshalls on the majority, if not all their hits, and to my ear anyway, think his bass sound was awesome. Would love to buy it myself, but just spent out on a different Marshall head - DBS 7400 - also great, so leave me potless.

Good luck with it - there are quite a few Marshall bass amp fans out there.[/quote]

Cheers Loz -keep rockin'!

[quote name='bigjohn' post='910210' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:03 PM']I sold one a while back for £450. The more sought after ones, unlike mine was or yours, have the inputs one above the other, rather than side by side. I think these are more sought after as they convert easier into lead jcm800s. Not sure on that though. Certainly the other configuration sells at a higher price though sorry to say.

The good news is they're a great amp - if a little heavy and a bit of a one trick pony - but what a trick!

They're also built to last through WWIII. And if that's the right year, you'll probably find the black weave stuff will fade in the daylight unless it's been replaced or re-dyed. Mine was a sandy colour but you could see it was still black where it been protected from sunlight.[/quote]

nice one thx for the feedbak

[quote name='bigjohn' post='910210' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:03 PM']I sold one a while back for £450. The more sought after ones, unlike mine was or yours, have the inputs one above the other, rather than side by side. I think these are more sought after as they convert easier into lead jcm800s. Not sure on that though. Certainly the other configuration sells at a higher price though sorry to say.

They're also built to last through WWIII. And if that's the right year, you'll probably find the black weave stuff will fade in the daylight unless it's been replaced or re-dyed. Mine was a sandy colour but you could see it was still black where it been protected from sunlight.[/quote]

cheers, keep rockin'!