Why become a member? ×

A Sub par introduction!

GhostofKarelia

Well, I guess this is hello!

A friend of mine (and fellow four-stringer) pointed me in the direction of this here site. I started playing about 3 and a half years ago, but feel that I've only recently started progressing, but I admit I have a lot to learn. I came here hoping to expand my horizons, learn a lot, meet some like minded souls and maybe snap up a cheeky bargain or two.

A little about me. I'm 18 and live in Farnborough, which isn't a great place. I've recently finished college and I'm hoping to get into uni. I write music reviews on my LiveJournal blog and want to do that for a living, which would be nice. I'm into the usual teenage boy things, video games, skateboarding, watching a lot of movies and sci fi nerdiness.

Musically I try and keep a wide range of influences. Old school soul and funk, Hard Rock, some Jazz, Rock 'n' Roll, early Hip Hop, Prog Rock, but mainly metal, especially Death, Doom, Black, Thrash and Progressive. Some of you might recognise my name as a song by prog-metal band 'Mastodon', who will always be my favourite band, their bassist Troy Sanders being a huge inspiration for me. I played in a straight up rock band with some friends, mainly doing covers, and I'm currently in a Two-man Black metal project and a just starting off Progressive Post rock band. I'm hoping to join some more serious groups at university and play some shows.

Gear wise I play a Dean Playmate Edge 10 active in Black, which i bought because it was cheap and looked 'metal'. I run through a White Horse 150 watt amp which is awful, again bought purely because it was cheap. I'm hoping to buy a Peavey Zodiac BXP soon, but was mainly looking for anyone on this site who could point me in a better direction.

Cheers for taking the time to read about my sordid little existance!

Ghost

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. :)

Regarding your question about basses, I tried out a bunch of basses in that kind of price range last year when looking for a xmas pressie for a friend's son. Oddly enough the best two I tried were the Dean and Peavey models! I opted for the Dean in the end, even though the Peavey was a bit cheaper and had a very nice neck (very much like a nice example of 70s fender Jazz). I can't really comment too much on the sounds as I tried them in different shops with different amps, but they both sounded in the same ballpark as you might expect with the P/J pickups.

It might possibly be a bit of a sideways move rather than an upgrade, though there's always the possibility that you might just prefer the Peavey anyway. The Squier VM Jazz might be up your street at that kind of price - try posting the question in the Bass Guitars section as you'll get more responses there. :rolleyes: