Why become a member? ×

Substitute

thepurpleblob

I had to learn this for an audition a few months back. Struggled a bit, but once nailed it was great fun.

The tabs I found for it at the time were far from accurate though, so I just kept on listening to it over and over.

I think one of the tab sites was bass masta or something like that.

[quote name='gary mac' post='914533' date='Aug 4 2010, 07:39 AM']I had to learn this for an audition a few months back. Struggled a bit, but once nailed it was great fun.

The tabs I found for it at the time were far from accurate though, so I just kept on listening to it over and over.

I think one of the tab sites was bass masta or something like that.[/quote]

Well, that's tabs for you :)

Do yourself, your bass playing and your band a favour and invest £19.99 on Stuart Clayton's John Entwhistle transcriptions [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-john-entwistle-bass-book.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-...-bass-book.html[/url]. I briefly joined a covers band who were doing three or four Who numbers and, despite being good at picking out a bass part, there's no way I would have picked out all of the nuances of JE's lines, even on a track as seemingly simple as Substitute. I'd always wanted to be able to play 'The Real Me', so it was great to see not only really accurate transcription, but for both versions also. Seriously, purely as a bass improvement manual, this book is outstanding, if you're into the Who, it's a must.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='914581' date='Aug 4 2010, 08:45 AM']Do yourself, your bass playing and your band a favour and invest £19.99 on Stuart Clayton's John Entwhistle transcriptions [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-john-entwistle-bass-book.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-...-bass-book.html[/url]. I briefly joined a covers band who were doing three or four Who numbers and, despite being good at picking out a bass part, there's no way I would have picked out all of the nuances of JE's lines, even on a track as seemingly simple as Substitute. I'd always wanted to be able to play 'The Real Me', so it was great to see not only really accurate transcription, but for both versions also. Seriously, purely as a bass improvement manual, this book is outstanding, if you're into the Who, it's a must.

Chris[/quote]

Good idea..... "I think I might get away with it" has always been my goal for Who numbers :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='914581' date='Aug 4 2010, 08:45 AM']Do yourself, your bass playing and your band a favour and invest £19.99 on Stuart Clayton's John Entwhistle transcriptions [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-john-entwistle-bass-book.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/tab/the-...-bass-book.html[/url]. I briefly joined a covers band who were doing three or four Who numbers and, despite being good at picking out a bass part, there's no way I would have picked out all of the nuances of JE's lines, even on a track as seemingly simple as Substitute. I'd always wanted to be able to play 'The Real Me', so it was great to see not only really accurate transcription, but for both versions also. Seriously, purely as a bass improvement manual, this book is outstanding, if you're into the Who, it's a must.

Chris[/quote]

Book now on order and wee plug for Stuart Clayton. Nice guy and very helpful indeed. Had some bother with the ordering process and he (personally it seems) sorted it really quickly and to my financial benefit.

[quote name='chris_b' post='917009' date='Aug 6 2010, 02:23 PM']I'm sure this book is very good, but you'll never develop your ear if you don't use it.[/quote]

Honestly,

I try to do both. I learn tons of stuff by ear to, as you say, develop my ear. I also learn stuff from the dots to improve my reading (which is important to me). There's not a huge amount of notated music specifically for the bass guitar so I quite like to have it around. Call me old fashioned etc....

I learned Substitute (for example) by ear and then compared it with the transcription. I had made some mistakes which, on a second listen, where my mistake (not one in the transcription). Surely that will improve my ear too? It's a minefield :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='chris_b' post='917009' date='Aug 6 2010, 02:23 PM']I'm sure this book is very good, but you'll never develop your ear if you don't use it.[/quote]

Mmmmm, I think that's a bit of a generalisation Chris. Using transcriptions can help you validate what you hear, in effect helping you learn how to use your ears. It can also help you get to know the nuances of a player's technique. I would never have worked out most of Entwhistle's, Flea's or Stu Zender's lines without tabs, and generally speaking, when I hear a new track by any of them now, I understand their styles sufficiently well to get the part 95% right. I tend to move from player to player. I started with Motown, through McCartney, got into Jaco and Clarke, then into Flea and Zender, then into Entwhistle, and at the moment I'm looking at some African stuff. I've learned a lot, but even though I have a good ear (most of my bandmates are pretty amazed at my ability to pick out what an instrument is doing, even in very busy recordings), I could never have learned so much without transcriptions.

And if you extend the argument above to a ludicrous extreme, orchestral musicians wouldn't need sheet music :)

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='JTUK' post='917294' date='Aug 6 2010, 06:53 PM']All you need is a well-versed through-the-changes piano-player. That will sort your ear out.[/quote]

Even better, learn some Piano skills yourself.
Opens up a whole new world, chops and ear wise.

Garry