Why become a member? ×

Stretchy rubbery feel for strings

Annoying Twit

What types of strings, brands, gauges, etc., lead to bass strings feeling a tiny bit "rubbery" or stretchy when playing. I mean the feel I get while plucking? The strings on my Cimar Rickenfaker have this feel, but I don't know what they are as they were on it when I received it. I prefer that to the more taught feel on my other basses. Any advice much appreciated.

Are you talking about coated strings?

The stretch you talk about simply sounds like the effect of different brands of strings; different tensions/tunings; and playing position - i.e. if you pluck nearer the bridge the strings will feel that much tighter and so will the sound.

Some of that difference will then boil over to the brand of string; it's composition; etc.

I've a feeling strings with a round core (DR Hi Beams, Status Hot Wire Premiums etc) rather than a hex core (the majority of strings) tend to have a bit more give when they're up to tension.... but there's not much in it. You'd get a much rubberier feel if you went down a guage or two.

In my opinion, some necks have more give than others and that may explain why one bass feels a bit rubbery. For example my main bass has a graphite neck with no truss rod, it just stays straight whatever strings you put on it and there's no rubberyness at all (you can take 4 of the 5 strings off completely and the remaining string will still be up to pitch). It feels completely different to my newer bass with more flexible graphite and a truss rod.... that feels nice and springy, like a wooden neck.