Why become a member? ×

Tried a Spector Euro LX

Rumble

Over the weekend I went to B'ham SoundControl to have a play with a couple of Warwicks. Got there to find a wall full of Spectors and thought I'd give them a shot. Well ...... to say I was impressed is a major understatement. Full sound with lovely top end and the mids that appear to be missing on some Warwicks. Wonder how much of this has to do with the EMG's in situ? They (i.e. the Euro LX's I played) didn't feel quite as good in the hands as the Warwicks, but they weren't half bad.

The only downer on the Spectors was the, IMHO, ridiculous TonePump setup. Why on earth can't they just put a straight-forward PU pan and single Vol control instead of a Vol control for each PU and the ability to boost bass and treble and not cut it? Stupid! :)

...and the SC moan..... Out of the four 5 stringers that I played three of them had a truss rod so tight that it made anything lower than the 8th fret totally unplayable. I could see the bend in the neck without looking down it's length. How do they expect to sell 'em? When I told the saleslad, he just looked at me nonplussed! Incredible :huh:

Anyone have a 5 string Euro LX with a nice poplar top and revised preamp they want to sell?!!

If you keep the amp eq flat and do the rest with the eq on the bass it works fine.... and sounds incredible! :)
It is a reasonably common complaint though...

You could always get one and swap out the Tonepump for the standard EMG circuit or EMG BTC controls...? :huh: