Why become a member? ×

Which recording software package would you use?

Beedster

For sheer ease of use and flexiblity + quality Garageband is so easy and as a next step up Logic Pro offers a huge amount of stuff under one roof - the VSTs are good and so are the plugins - MIDI is a doddle plus you have the additional score capabilities - plus the latest version emulates a lot of the speedy editing moves of Pro Tools. I think Pro Tools is probably a better overall platform for doing live tracking of bands etc but I think Logic is the ultimate home studio recording set up - and loads of top musos love it and use it to do their albums on... plus it's only £200

I've now settled on Reaper despite being with Cubase from the old Atari ST days.
I was fed up giving them more money for upgrades.

It also didn't help that they discontinued support for their Midex 8 (RIP) interfaces.

So these days it's Reaper, EMU 0404|USB2, Superior Drummer 2, and Steven Slate Drums EX.

Edited by 2pods

Don't worry Beedster, my choice personally is Logic or Pro Tools.

In your situation I would have picked Pro Tools. Ease of use, quick to learn. You dont particularly need much sequencing AND all pro tools software can work with any other. So you can send off your protools tracks to a studio to get mastered on a high end setup and they can send it back and it will still work (with uncaccessible stuff removed).

Its a cool package is pro tools and Im sure you wont regret it :)

My vote goes for Pro-Tools, for one simple reason: it's the same software used by the recording studios we use, so it means that I can take the tracks home and remaster them myself if need be!

When I looked into it, I reached the conclusion that all the software was equally capable, and so what you finally chose would be influenced by other factors - in my case the software used by the recording studio.

As mentioned, two criticisms I've seen against Pro-Tools are the lack of free plug-ins (compared to Cubase VSTs), and also inferior midi capability. On the plug-ins issue, I know that you can buy a piece of software that "wraps" VST plug-ins into Pro-Tools plug-ins. I think it was around £100, but my intention is to invest in it so that I get access to the free VST plug-ins.

As for midi, I've spent the last few days writing a midi score using just my trusty mouse, and I have found the interface to be very easy to use. I haven't tried to use a midi instrument yet, so it may be there where the criticisms are. However, as mentioned previously the choice of instruments bundled with Pro-Tools is very limited. You get a nice piano, and that's about it. If you get the Factory plugin, then you get a drumkit, a synth and a Hammond organ - but no strings, brass, woodwind, harpsichord...

Just my £0.02. What may actually drive your decision is your choice of hardware, and hence the software that is bundled with the hardware.

Mark

Protools midi isn't inferior as much as it would make it sound btw. I just 'feels' a bit clunk for myself in comparison to a package like Logic. But then I prefer editing in PT.

Oh i dont know... get both. For free, somehow. Do you know mr protools and mr logic? :)

[quote name='charic' post='928757' date='Aug 18 2010, 04:09 PM']Don't worry Beedster, my choice personally is Logic or Pro Tools.

In your situation I would have picked Pro Tools. Ease of use, quick to learn. You dont particularly need much sequencing AND all pro tools software can work with any other. So you can send off your protools tracks to a studio to get mastered on a high end setup and they can send it back and it will still work (with uncaccessible stuff removed).

Its a cool package is pro tools and Im sure you wont regret it :)[/quote]

[quote name='M-Bass-M' post='929685' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:46 PM']My vote goes for Pro-Tools, for one simple reason: it's the same software used by the recording studios we use, so it means that I can take the tracks home and remaster them myself if need be!

When I looked into it, I reached the conclusion that all the software was equally capable, and so what you finally chose would be influenced by other factors - in my case the software used by the recording studio.

As mentioned, two criticisms I've seen against Pro-Tools are the lack of free plug-ins (compared to Cubase VSTs), and also inferior midi capability. On the plug-ins issue, I know that you can buy a piece of software that "wraps" VST plug-ins into Pro-Tools plug-ins. I think it was around £100, but my intention is to invest in it so that I get access to the free VST plug-ins.

As for midi, I've spent the last few days writing a midi score using just my trusty mouse, and I have found the interface to be very easy to use. I haven't tried to use a midi instrument yet, so it may be there where the criticisms are. However, as mentioned previously the choice of instruments bundled with Pro-Tools is very limited. You get a nice piano, and that's about it. If you get the Factory plugin, then you get a drumkit, a synth and a Hammond organ - but no strings, brass, woodwind, harpsichord...

Just my £0.02. What may actually drive your decision is your choice of hardware, and hence the software that is bundled with the hardware.

Mark[/quote]

Reassuring posts chaps, thanks :rolleyes: