Why become a member? ×

new bass guitar purchase

kneeseb

hey there,

ive recently decided to upgrade bass. im looking to spend roughly $600/£300. bass guitars that i am considering are

4 strings-

Aria STB GT4 Bass

yamaha bb414

5 strings-

WARWICK ROCKBASS FORTRESS 5

yamaha rbx375

yamaha bb415

i havent quiet the decision whether to buy a 4 string or a 5 string. i have owned enough of both to feel comfortable with the two. for me having a five string is just having more range. anywayz, please tell me ur opinions

The Yamaha RBX375 basses come up on ebay quite often (as well as in the for sale forum here), and sell for very modest prices. I don't claim expertise, but they look like an amazing bargain to me.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-RBX375-SILVER-5-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-/160461359425?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item255c3e0941"]sold for £102 + £22.99p&p[/url]

This topic would fare better if moved to the "Bass Guitars" forum, I think. Oi - Mods!

I've actually got an Aria STB-GT. It's a gorgeous-looking bass but came with a couple of issues which I'd be unhappy with if I'd paid new shop price for it (which being a cheapskate pikey, I didn't).

First of all the fretwork was a bit scruffy, with some ragged ends up the dusty end of the board, and a bit of buzzing & rattling here & there. I'm quite happy to roll my sleeves up and sort out stuff like this but I appreciate that most people aren't as hands-on.

Secondly, the active preamp has a nasty habit of eating batteries, even when the lead's disconnected. I've been unable to find out why it does this so I have to remember to take out the battery when not using the bass. I'm not a huge fan of actives so my intention is to bin the preamp & original pup & replace it with a decent passive MM type with splittable coils, and try playing around with some interesting wiring options.

Jon.