Why become a member? ×

Berg AE212

JTUK

A friend of mine just pointed out that the dims on the AE212 are pretty much the same as 2 AE112's which I would consider at some point..although not tempted to pay the AE112 new prices..
I have a system that I am more than happy with, so I don't need to rush out and buy, but to get the same sort of thing as 2 AE112 at £800-ish as opposed to £1100 for the seperates got me into thinking that this is what I might pay second hand for the seperates anyway.

So, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of these cabs?
I am thinking that the AE212 will be a tad more low down than the AE112..which is not supposed to be lacking anyway..

If this is the case, then I think I can fit one into my car.

Damn GAS.. I was doing great until he who shall not be named pipped up :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' post='919497' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:29 PM']A friend of mine just pointed out that the dims on the AE212 are pretty much the same as 2 AE112's which I would consider at some point..although not tempted to pay the AE112 new prices..
I have a system that I am more than happy with, so I don't need to rush out and buy, but to get the same sort of thing as 2 AE112 at £800-ish as opposed to £1100 for the seperates got me into thinking that this is what I might pay second hand for the seperates anyway.

So, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of these cabs?
I am thinking that the AE212 will be a tad more low down than the AE112..which is not supposed to be lacking anyway..

If this is the case, then I think I can fit one into my car.

Damn GAS.. I was doing great until he who shall not be named pipped up :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoWx2ixLLJo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoWx2ixLLJo[/url]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='JTUK' post='919497' date='Aug 9 2010, 11:29 AM']....does anyone have any thoughts or experience of these cabs?....[/quote]
Having already invested in 2 AE112's and from what I've read on Talkbass, I don't think an AE212 gives anything significantly different to be of interest to me. The AE212 might sound marginally deeper (I really don't need any more bass!) but the modular and lighter 2 cab solution suits me better.

I have one dream though: putting an AE112 on top of an AE212 and running my Thunderfunk through a 2 ohm power amp!!

I find that these days I'm using the AE112's for most gigs and the AE210's are staying at home. I use a 1 112 cab for acoustic gigs but for everything else I would always use 2 112 cabs, so the AE212 is a better financial prospect.

I'm thinking that your GS112's would supply 80% of what the AE's can give. So, do you really need that last 20%?

Edited by chris_b

Ive been chatting to KJung on Talkbass for a while about this cabinet. I want a neo cabinet that has sound im searching for, and his descriptions and sound samples have not helped my current plan to buy no more gear! He describes the AE212 as a fatter, smoother version of the AE410....eg less of the AE line aggression, which is exactly what I hoped for. Ive heard mixed reviews on its performance with the RH450 (some love it, some think its too 'old school') but im guessing it would be great with the LM3.

For me, as I dont own any AE112s, this would be financially the better option.

[quote name='sk8' post='1009615' date='Nov 2 2010, 02:01 PM']Ring him. Mark is very accomodating.

Strikes me as odd that you've not contacted the only man in europe who stocks berg..........................[/quote]

Oh I have, with regards to Berg cabs before. I just couldnt decide on what I wanted back then, and the DB212 came along and gave me sonic perfection :)

Now I ready to give a high end Neo/fairly compact cabinet a go, Berg seems the only way.

I by no means need it, so I have to decide if its quality overcomes the fact I dont need more amps/cabs!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1009613' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:55 PM']It would basically have to be a gamble, unless there is a returns policy.[/quote]
As with all distance sellers, it is your statutory right to return something within a week for a full refund including the original shipping cost (although not the cost of return delivery).

From the video clip..Like the AE410 better. thanks.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1009597' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:34 PM']Having already invested in 2 AE112's and from what I've read on Talkbass, I don't think an AE212 gives anything significantly different to be of interest to me. The AE212 might sound marginally deeper (I really don't need any more bass!) but the modular and lighter 2 cab solution suits me better.

I have one dream though: putting an AE112 on top of an AE212 and running my Thunderfunk through a 2 ohm power amp!!

I find that these days I'm using the AE112's for most gigs and the AE210's are staying at home. I use a 1 112 cab for acoustic gigs but for everything else I would always use 2 112 cabs, so the AE212 is a better financial prospect.

I'm thinking that your GS112's would supply 80% of what the AE's can give. So, do you really need that last 20%?[/quote]

If that 20% was a better definition in the higher mids then maybe as that is all I have to gripe over.
The GS112's are great in every other way for me with newish strings....but the GAS is something I might have to try to rule out..as it were.

Not sure the AE212 will fit well in the car and would be not so good a carry so I will stick to singles..
Probably go with DB112's if I want that hi-mid thing..

The problem with Berg only having one UK dealer is price competition. The Aguilars travel far better over here price-wise, when the cabs aren't that far apart in dollars...IIRC.

Anyway..something to contemplate in the NY..maybe.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='sk8' post='1009629' date='Nov 2 2010, 02:24 PM']what about the new lighter smaller Aggy's?[/quote]

Definitely comtemplating them. 22lbs apparently...and adjustments made to take out the slightly inherent aggression in the hi mids with certain neo speakers.

The AE212 looks stunning as well though.

Got to say..not so very keen on the looks of the Neo Aguilars at this point..and size of the Ceramics single 12's aren't bad for me anyway.

I am just looking for a bit more mid but love the low end I have...so ?? I think my first thought is try and get some DB112's..
Same driver but different bias, I think.

At this level we are talking sound pref, size and carry and cosmetics.

I got an AE212 a month or so ago now. LOVE it. I already had an AE112 & loved that SO much I thought...... well U know.

It's very well balanced & E-Z to shift- even with the thick Berg cover on. & I-like someone previously mentioned- ALSO would like to sit my AE112 on top of it & use with my SVT or Mesa Walkabout.
But by itself- I HAVEN'T really pushed it yet-I'm sorta 'easing' it in.... - it sounds just as you'd imagine- supremely articulate, but not in anyway 'sterile' & roll off the HF horn & it actually reminds me of my NV215!!! In both looks & sound. That can only be a good thing.
I LOVE my NV215. Maybe the NV215 & AE212 one day together. :-)

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1010136' date='Nov 2 2010, 10:39 PM']But by itself- I HAVEN'T really pushed it yet-I'm sorta 'easing' it in.... - it sounds just as you'd imagine- supremely articulate, but not in anyway 'sterile' & roll off the HF horn & it actually reminds me of my NV215!!![/quote]

This sounds great! I like the idea of rolling off the horn and getting a more traditional 'fatter' tone!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1010411' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:35 AM']This sounds great! I like the idea of rolling off the horn and getting a more traditional 'fatter' tone![/quote]

The ae410 also sounds surprisingly mellow and old school if you roll off the horn completely and take some treble off. Especially given its always refferred to as having a rather forward upper mid. It can go super 'warm' with the LMII type amps....

[quote name='51m0n' post='1010504' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:47 AM']The ae410 also sounds surprisingly mellow and old school if you roll off the horn completely and take some treble off. Especially given its always refferred to as having a rather forward upper mid. It can go super 'warm' with the LMII type amps....[/quote]

I dont doubt it for a second! :)

I think what KJung was on about on Talkbass is that the AE212 has a more 'lo mid' type push....a little wider sounding. Not sure myself as I havent heard it but I can imagine thats exactly what Im looking for as so far im really enjoying the new 12s that are coming out.