Why become a member? ×

Berg AE212

JTUK

• 4 months later...

You say that..but where are they? :)

And besides, you know what GAS is like..I want.....NOW..!!
I guess I will get measuring the boot to see how it might fit..if it gets past that test, then an AE212
is a cheaper way to go than 2 singles.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1173028' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:21 AM']You say that..but where are they? :)

And besides, you know what GAS is like..I want.....NOW..!!
I guess I will get measuring the boot to see how it might fit..if it gets past that test, then an AE212
is a cheaper way to go than 2 singles.[/quote]

Alanbass is selling an AE112 now on BC.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127118"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127118[/url]

Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='JTUK' post='1177509' date='Mar 26 2011, 07:44 PM']I saw that..not sure they are worth £950 for a pair... to me, that is.[/quote]

Sorry !
I thought he was looking for £475 and it was only the one AE112 cab he was selling.
Photo isn't clear but he also uses 2off HT112 cabs which maybe the ones shown in the photo.
The description on his signature shows what he has.

Probably a bit much for a 2nd hand cab when a new one costs £560 from Bass Direct.

Good luck and cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1177974' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:42 AM']Sorry !
I thought he was looking for £475 and it was only the one AE112 cab he was selling.
Photo isn't clear but he also uses 2off HT112 cabs which maybe the ones shown in the photo.
The description on his signature shows what he has.

Probably a bit much for a 2nd hand cab when a new one costs £560 from Bass Direct.

Good luck and cheers
Dave[/quote]

Yes, agree, it was only the one FS so I assumed that the price of two would be the the figure I guestimated, IF I could find another one quickly.
They retain a premium as there aren't that many around although maybe these come along like London buses...

As far as the AE212 goes that has better value compared to its supposed competitors like GB NEOX for example, possibly in the GB market.

The good news is that I can fit a AE212 in my car boot.... but I think I have sourced a repair for my current cabs so I am just trying to stave off GAS :)

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='1178007' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:22 AM']Yes, agree, it was only the one FS so I assumed that the price of two would be the the figure I guestimated, IF I could find another one quickly.
They retain a premium as there aren't that many around although maybe these come along like London buses...

As far as the AE212 goes that has better value compared to its supposed competitors like GB NEOX for example, possibly in the GB market.

The good news is that I can fit a AE212 in my car boot.... but I think I have sourced a repair for my current cabs so I am just trying to stave off GAS :)[/quote]

I'm afraid GAS got the better of me yesterday and i went for a new AE112 & GB Streamliner 600 from Bass Direct.
Thought about 2nd hand but most of the gear i was looking for was quite far South and cost of fuel to pick up would take me to almost new price.
Main reason i went for the AE112 was i couldn't fit my existing gear in the new car. Didn't think about that when i bought the car. Huge boot but only 16" opening. Good excuse to buy some new gear. :)
Not many shops up here that stock a decent quantity of quality gear.

Good luck with the search

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

haha..now the AE212 fits my boot I am sure. And it would be an easy lift in and out which does not help the GAS.

Funny how the gear that appeals is always the other end of the country. I would have been more than interested in 2 cabs from Scotland but moving them would have cost too much and ruled the interest out

Edited by JTUK

All this talk of AE212s got me quite gassed up for one. I really like 2x12s. Read all the comments on TB, looked at what I could move on to pay for one and then it dawned on me that the AE212 has the ports at the back.

One of the reasons I got rid of my original Ashdown mini 4x8s was because they had the ports at the back and were totally useless outdoors.

I think I need to try one before I get excited again. Someone please get one and bring it to the next SE Bash.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1179150' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:33 AM']That wasn't because the ports are at the back![/quote]

It was a long time ago and it seemed like that was the problem at the time.

So rear ports are fine out in the open then with nothing behind them?

[quote name='obbm' post='1179162' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:42 AM']So rear ports are fine out in the open then with nothing behind them?[/quote]

Yes, absolutely. The problem outdoors with all bass cabs is they lose bottom due to the lack of boundary reinforcement from nearby walls. The worse the cab is at doing lows, the more obvious the problem is. And rear ports are more commonly found on smaller cabs (due to a lack of space for ports on the front) and smaller cabs tend to be worse at doing lows, hence the common assumption that it's due to the ports being at the back.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1179182' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:01 AM']....The problem outdoors with all bass cabs is they lose bottom due to the lack of boundary reinforcement from nearby walls....[/quote]
So the bass cab needs to reflect off walls. Isn't that the same for rear porting? If the output of the rear ports doesn’t reflect how does the sound from the ports get around to the front of the cab?

Low frequencis radiate more evenl;y from their source, the lower the frequency the more even that is.

Bass frequncies radiate evenly in all directions regardless of where the ports are, ALL bass cabs can make use of this by placing the cab with in a couple of feet of the back wall (ideally right back against it) in a venue.

By the same token if you take that back wall away ALL bass cabs suffer from a corresponding 3dB drop in bass going forwards to the audience.

With careful placement in the right room you can make tiny amps do incredible things, Plux did a gig with a pretty loud drummer with a Nemesis D8 practice amp once, by placing it on the floor in the corner of the room, which had a curved underside to a balcony above it, I think we got a bout 7dB of additional free volume from all the 'free' energy being bounced towards the audience - the amp was pushed to its limit, but outperformed anything you would expect it to by a huge margin.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1179205' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:19 AM']....Low frequencis radiate more evenl;y from their source, the lower the frequency the more even that is....[/quote]
So if a bass note has to rely on radiation surely it'll take longer to get around to the front where the audience is and be "out of phase" with the rest of the note, which came out of the front of the cab?

As long as the port is within 1/4 wavelength of the woofers then the output will be in phase.

[url="http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm"]http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm[/url]

100Hz 1/4 wavelength is 2'10" - and a correctly tuned port will have hardly any output that high up, most output happening an octave lower (so 1/4 wavelength 5'8").

[quote name='chris_b' post='1179212' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:23 AM']So if a bass note has to rely on radiation surely it'll take longer to get around to the front where the audience is and be "out of phase" with the rest of the note, which came out of the front of the cab?[/quote]

All sound relies upon radiation from a source....

[quote name='chris_b' post='1179294' date='Mar 28 2011, 11:40 AM']That doesn't answer the question.[/quote]

No it doesnt, I was being facetious!

Alex hits it squarely on the head.

Another point is that with certain port designs it is possible to tune the phase of the signal as much as the frequency, thus taking into account the position of the port relative to the front of the cab. Certainly thats required in transmission line speakers, where the 'port' is most of the speaker in fact...

Transmission line cabs might look like a variant on a ported cab but they're a totally different animal!

The only acoustic upside to front ports is that you feel the thump of air movement more than with a rear port if you're standing very close to your rig. Move further away and the performance will be no different for a given woofer(s), enclosure size and port tuning and area (assuming suitable damping).