Why become a member? ×

Lakland DJ Vs Fender USA Deluxe 2010 Jazz

bassatnight

Chaps,

I am about to order a new Bass and have managed to get the choice down to a Natural Lakland Skyline DJ for £1,100 or a new Black Fender Deluxe Jazz 2010 with the block inlays.

I have played the DJ and its lovely really nice range of warm tones nice and light and of course looks the business, the natural finish seems a bit rarer than the more common blue. I also understand they have stopped making them now so might keep its value?

I have not played the new Jazzes so apart from watching clips on you tube and of course going by previous Jazzes I have owned I am fairly confident it will be a cracking bass, but I just can't decide between the two.

Anyone got a view?

[quote name='bassatnight' post='921372' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:48 AM']Chaps,

I am about to order a new Bass and have managed to get the choice down to a Natural Lakland Skyline DJ for £1,100 or a new Black Fender Deluxe Jazz 2010 with the block inlays.

I have played the DJ and its lovely really nice range of warm tones nice and light and of course looks the business, the natural finish seems a bit rarer than the more common blue. I also understand they have stopped making them now so might keep its value?

I have not played the new Jazzes so apart from watching clips on you tube and of course going by previous Jazzes I have owned I am fairly confident it will be a cracking bass, but I just can't decide between the two.

Anyone got a view?[/quote]

Id give the Fender a try before ordering, if you can.

I do like what Lakland do, but ive yet to find one thats right for me.

They have indeed stopped the DJ production now, which is a shame.

Have you tried a normal American Standard Jazz? If you are going the 4 string route, I would try one out, and if you want the active sound, get a high end circuit added or a nice preamp pedal.

£1100, for the DJ4, is VERY expensive IMO.

I have thought the price was a little too high, but then American Deluxe is going to set me back £1250. I am even thinking about a stingray but want the all black with maple neck and matching headstock I have only seen HS models in that finish or the limited edition from a few year back.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='921567' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:20 PM']I have thought the price was a little too high, but then American Deluxe is going to set me back £1250. I am even thinking about a stingray but want the all black with maple neck and matching headstock I have only seen HS models in that finish or the limited edition from a few year back.[/quote]

You can definitely spec a single H Stingray with 2 or 3 band EQ and maple board and a matching headstock :)

You might even be able to get Stealth Black still, not sure. I prefer the normal black myself with chrome.