Why become a member? ×

microphone advice

bigjohn

Hi Chaps,

Looking for some advice on microphones. I'm completely new to them so anything you can add would be invaluable.

I'm looking for a mic to record at home with - I'll be recording two simultaneous tracks. One DI'd from an SVT-IIP and another acoustic (SVT-IIP > power amp > Schroeder 1212L / maybe SVP-IIP > Ampeg B50R)

I'll be using a usb audio interface of some sort - and I'm not sure what recording software yet. I have used Audacity, but I'm not averse to learning another package. It'll be PC (win7 64bit).

I'm looking for the mic to pick up some cab colouration and some lows that the DI won't. Using the DI to fill in anything that the mic doesn't pick up.

I'm not going to be playing that loud as I'll be recording at home. Maybe in my kitchen (the most detached part of the house) - maybe in my living room if there's too much echo in my kitchen.

I understand there are generally 2 common types of suitable mic - dynamic and condenser, and that condenser mics in general pick up a wider frequency range.

Any tips?

Cheers

John

edit : forgot to say, I've got a budget of about £50>£100 and not averse to 2nd hand.

Edited by bigjohn