Why become a member? ×

Jazzy Fretless Solo - Mellow Fusion Vibe

urb

A little solo on my fretless over some nice chords from a Gary Willis tune called 'Speak' - with some trip-hop drums and funky Rhodes chords... hope you like it.

In case this ain't working try this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZDJi6CdgU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZDJi6CdgU[/url]

Cheers

Mike

That is a lovely sequence, and your playing is, as always, excellent.

Your modal harmony (if that's the right expression) sounds very dark to me, and I notice you end a lot of your runs descending. Does this say something about you do you think? Is it a conscious choice?

[quote name='silddx' post='922877' date='Aug 12 2010, 03:49 PM']That is a lovely sequence, and your playing is, as always, excellent.

Your modal harmony (if that's the right expression) sounds very dark to me, and I notice you end a lot of your runs descending. Does this say something about you do you think? Is it a conscious choice?[/quote]

Thanks Nige - it's definitely concious but that's beauty of the fretless - you can get a bit more melancholy on it - plus a lot of the chords are minor here as well :)

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='922747' date='Aug 12 2010, 02:01 PM']A little solo on my fretless over some nice chords from a Gary Willis tune called 'Speak' - with some trip-hop drums and funky Rhodes chords... hope you like it.

In case this ain't working try this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZDJi6CdgU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZDJi6CdgU[/url]

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Very nice, really enjoyed that. As someone who is currently working on an album and playing fretless on it, this has been very enjoyable to listen to. There really is not enough fretless bass playing around so thanks for posting.

[quote name='silddx' post='922877' date='Aug 12 2010, 03:49 PM']That is a lovely sequence, and your playing is, as always, excellent.

Your modal harmony (if that's the right expression) sounds very dark to me, and I notice you end a lot of your runs descending. Does this say something about you do you think? Is it a conscious choice?[/quote]

Blimey, how do you analyse it into that much detail? Quite amazed at that. Might have to ask you to analyse some of my bass lines. Would be amazed at what you find.

[quote name='Linus27' post='922978' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:47 PM']Blimey, how do you analyse it into that much detail? Quite amazed at that. Might have to ask you to analyse some of my bass lines. Would be amazed at what you find.[/quote]
Erm, thanks :) I'm not sure what to say to that, it wasn't anything clever, it's just what I heard from one listen. I don't know squat about theory except some of the very basics so I don't know what Mike is actually doing. I just use my ears. Maybe it's years of listening to Zappa and stuff and reading loads of sh*te about music :rolleyes: I'll take your comment as a very nice compliment, thank you very much! Maybe I do have good ears after all!

[quote name='silddx' post='922988' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:53 PM']Erm, thanks :) I'm not sure what to say to that, it wasn't anything clever, it's just what I heard from one listen. I don't know squat about theory except some of the very basics so I don't know what Mike is actually doing. I just use my ears. Maybe it's years of listening to Zappa and stuff and reading loads of sh*te about music :rolleyes: I'll take your comment as a very nice compliment, thank you very much! Maybe I do have good ears after all![/quote]

It certainly was a nice compliment. Quite impressed me. I can pick out if someone plays melodic, driven, funky or plays around the root, but to actually notice that someone sounds very dark and ends a lot of the runs descending was quite detailed. Very impressive.

[quote name='Linus27' post='922999' date='Aug 12 2010, 06:03 PM']It certainly was a nice compliment. Quite impressed me. I can pick out if someone plays melodic, driven, funky or plays around the root, but to actually notice that someone sounds very dark and ends a lot of the runs descending was quite detailed. Very impressive.[/quote]
Thank you mate!

Feel free to chuck us a bassline and I'll give it the silddx analysis :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='922975' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:45 PM']Very nice, really enjoyed that. As someone who is currently working on an album and playing fretless on it, this has been very enjoyable to listen to. There really is not enough fretless bass playing around so thanks for posting.[/quote]

Thanks man - I have to admit I've been ignoring my fretless for a while so I put some new strings on it a week ago and have been getting back into it again - this bass has a wicked tone and it's very easy to get around on because of its narrow string spacing but I'm trying to play it with as much control as possible, and almost succeeding! I love fretless but I don't think it works all the time, but for lyrical melodic playing it's absolutely perfect... glad you enjoyed this I pleased with the backing as well on this too.

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='923460' date='Aug 13 2010, 07:36 AM']Thanks man - I have to admit I've been ignoring my fretless for a while so I put some new strings on it a week ago and have been getting back into it again - this bass has a wicked tone and it's very easy to get around on because of its narrow string spacing but I'm trying to play it with as much control as possible, and almost succeeding! I love fretless but I don't think it works all the time, but for lyrical melodic playing it's absolutely perfect... glad you enjoyed this I pleased with the backing as well on this too.

Mike[/quote]

It really does sound sweet. What bass is it?

[quote name='Linus27' post='923587' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:38 AM']It really does sound sweet. What bass is it?[/quote]

Thanks again man - the bass was made by a very talented if obscure Brighton based luthier called Jeff Chapman - it's based on a Tobias Classic but has a very thin body and is very lightweight (lighter than a Tobias) and is made from a single piece of African Mahogany - with an ebony board [url="http://www.munkio.com/visions/jeffchapman_fretless.html"]http://www.munkio.com/visions/jeffchapman_fretless.html[/url] - it has a really unique tone - which is good as you don't always want to end up sounding like Jaco!

M