Why become a member? ×

Lakland experts...who has played the modern 44-64 (Bob Glaub)

Musicman20

Hi Musicman20,
I have a Lakland USA Glaub I bought earlier this year and it has the Hanson pickup in it.
The pickup I would say is 'vintage-hot' in that it has that classic P bass sound but with a bit more output than a vintage model.
That's only the beginning though as the neck feels and plays great, a stunning bit of kit and worth investigating.
If you're in London anytime you're more than welcome to pop round/meet up and try it out...

Cheers and hope that helps you a bit,
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='930285' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:52 PM']Hi Musicman20,
I have a Lakland USA Glaub I bought earlier this year and it has the Hanson pickup in it.
The pickup I would say is 'vintage-hot' in that it has that classic P bass sound but with a bit more output than a vintage model.
That's only the beginning though as the neck feels and plays great, a stunning bit of kit and worth investigating.
If you're in London anytime you're more than welcome to pop round/meet up and try it out...

Cheers and hope that helps you a bit,
Jon[/quote]

Thanks! Sounds great to me. I might check one out. I keep looking at other basses, then coming back to the simple P bass design.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='930475' date='Aug 20 2010, 12:19 AM']Thanks! Sounds great to me. I might check one out. I keep looking at other basses, then coming back to the simple P bass design.[/quote]

I notice that you already have a couple of current production precisions. Have you thought of trying a 62 reissue? They are great basses and I find mine so much better than the standard offering. However, I also have a Lakland DJ4, and if the Glaub is as good a precision as the DJ4 is a jazz, then it's well worth checking out. All the best in your quest!

Thanks for the input.

Im sticking with Fender again.

Why? Well I realise I must be unlucky, and/or the stock Ive tested has faults, but I yet again tested a fair few yesterday.

Disappointed :) Very heavy, especially the 5ers (all 3 of them), bad fret dressing, binding coming off (DJ5), marks where they installed the neck, etc.

Shame really. They look great, but once I got up close, I realised Fender must have taken note of their sales dropping off, and hence the new Fenders (and the lovely old vintage Fenders) just seem that little bit better.

Im not knocking them. This is the 4th time Ive tried to buy one, so I must like them. I just dont think the latest one are very consistent.

[quote name='Hutton' post='931667' date='Aug 21 2010, 09:36 AM']I notice that you already have a couple of current production precisions. Have you thought of trying a 62 reissue? They are great basses and I find mine so much better than the standard offering. However, I also have a Lakland DJ4, and if the Glaub is as good a precision as the DJ4 is a jazz, then it's well worth checking out. All the best in your quest![/quote]

A 62 was on the cards! Thanks. Id need to try one out first, so we shall see.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='931829' date='Aug 21 2010, 12:31 PM']A 62 was on the cards! Thanks. Id need to try one out first, so we shall see.[/quote]

If you find yourself up my way you are very welcome to come and try. I'm sure you'll be impressed!