Why become a member? ×

I've bought a CMI Rickenfaker... HELP ME BASSASSIN!

parker_muse

Here are some pics of a CMI rickenfaker that i picked up in cash converters of all places.

Have you guys any idea of a date or value on this? I picked it up rather cheaply as i know they can be worth a few bob and i've always fancied a faker. It's had one owner from the 70's and as you can see it's in pretty tip top condition. The black marks on the back rub off, i have no idea what they are.

Tom

Mid 70s is about as accurate as you can be about non-serialised ones, which I assume this is. Value, on BC probably £300ish, on ThiefBay maybe £350 - £400, particularly if a bidding war kicks off.

Anyway: CMI = Cleartone Musical Instruments, which was a sub-brand of Marshall Amps, apparently set up by Big Jim to side-step a dodgy/restrictive distribution deal the Marshall brand was tied to. As well as amps they sold guitars & basses, predominantly Japanese-made copies but also some original designs made in the UK by Ned Callan.

This of course is a JapCrap copy & a damn fine one it looks too. These are the same, as far as I can tell, as the Shaftesbury & Cimar-badged through-necks, and are very accurate, realistically they only compromise on the original with the generic little tuners and single truss rod. Because they appear under a few different brands, this type is fairly common but I'm really stumped as to who made them. I can say though it wasn't Matsumoku (who did make CMI bolt-neck fakers), Fujigen or Kasuga - their Rick copies are well-documented and have idiosyncrasies and differences that make them easy to recognise.

As far as I can see this one looks in great condition, very unusual to see the bridge pup cover still in place, they are usually the first thing to get removed/lost, just like real Ricks.

More pics, as soon as you like! :)

Jon.